I love this idea for teaching children about a year unfortunately Neevah wasn't into it ... maybe because it is late afternoon or because it is hot outside or maybe she is still a bit to young .
You will need
Blue, Green & Yellow Paper
1. Cut out 2 circles from the cardboard
2. Colour one circle yellow for the sun and the other blue /green for the earth - we did this with coloured paper but you could also use paint or coloured markers
3. Outside draw a large circle on the ground using chalk (the earths orbit) and mark a spot on the circle as the start/finish
4. Place the Sun in the middle of the earths orbit or have a child stand in the middle holding the sun
5. Holding the earth stand on the starting spot
6. Follow the earths orbit around the sun
7. Explain it takes 365 days for the earth to make its way around the earth and when you get back to the marked spot the year is over
For older children you they could also spin around as the follow earths orbit to represent each day. I think we will try this again next year and see if the kids enjoy it more.
Inspiration for this activity was found at The Activity Idea Place