Thursday, September 8, 2011
This is lots of fun, a wee bit messy and kept the kids playing for ages. I setup this activity as basic colour identification for Liam but added some colour labels for Neevah to match to the potion colour.
You will need
Glasses or Jars
Syringe or Baster
Coloured Pens to match potion colours
1. Prepare the potions by adding 2 - 3 drops of food colouring to the bottom of the glasses and then covering it with approx 2 teaspoons of baking soda so you can't see any of the colour underneath
2. In another container put the white vinegar
3. Put the glasses and white vinegar on a baking tray this will help contain the mess
4. Suck up the vinegar with the syringe
5. Squirt it into the potion glass
6. Name the colour
7. Do it all over again until all the colours are revealed
Make up some small cards with the names of each colour on them and ask your child to match them to the potions
Neevah and Liam then continued to add more and more vinegar to each potion jar. Neevah loved watching the reaction of the vinegar and baking soda and kept adding more and more vinegar until the glasses where full and then asked if she could start all over again. Liam loved pouring the potions and mixing the colours up. Altogether Liam stayed at this activity for roughly 20 mins and Neevah was enthralled for almost an hour!